May 15, 2020    //    Explore Alexandria
The Alexandria Lakes Area has a long history of welcoming visitors to enjoy our beautiful lakes country and our great hospitality. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought forth a “new normal” for us all, including how we travel. The Alexandria Lakes Area is known for our fun in the great outdoors, which makes it possible to travel & practice social distancing. Lodging and other hospitality businesses have adapted operations and put enhanced cleaning protocols into place to help protect you and their employees, and below you will find additional tips and information to be as safe as possible while traveling in this new normal. We can’t wait to see you and want you to know we are ready when you are ready!
In order to best protect you, other visitors and our residents during the COVID-19 pandemic, we are asking you to follow these safety guidelines:
1. STAY HOME IF YOU ARE SICK – As much as we would love to see you here, if you or someone in your household is sick or you have been in recent contact with someone who is sick or tested positive for COVID-19, please stay home. Consider postponing and rescheduling your trip.
2. PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING – Follow the CDC guidelines of keeping at least 6 feet apart from others outside of your group. If you come upon a high number of people at a trailhead, boat launch, store, and other places, please be patient and wait or consider coming back to the location when there’s less people. When you are in a public space with other people present please wear a face covering over your nose & mouth.
3. PRACTICE GOOD HYGIENE – Wash your hands often with soap & water for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching your face, wear a face covering over your nose & mouth in public, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol and be extra vigilant about cleaning your hands and other surfaces. If you cough or sneeze, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue and throw it in the trash.
4. RESPECT BUSINESS PROTOCOLS & RULES – Our local businesses have been implementing ways to continue to serve you safely. Please watch for any signage and follow all their rules to ensure the safety of you and them. Also please be patient as these businesses are continually updating their protocols and limitations may be present for number of people allowed at a time.
5. PLAN AHEAD & COME PREPARED – While the Alexandria Lakes Area has almost everything you’ll need for your vacation & getaway, consider planning ahead and double-checking that you have all your essentials to minimize otherwise unnecessary trips into public spaces. Additionally, please look over the guidelines from the CDC and the MN Dept of Health before you travel and follow their additional cleaning & safety protocols.
Modified operations, minimizing contact & enhanced cleaning protocols are among many other ways businesses are adapting to a new way of travel. A few examples may include:
1. Enhanced Cleaning Procedures – Social Distancing Protocols – Increased Availability of Hand Sanitizer – Limitations / Closing Certain areas or Amenities that are High Risk – Adapting Food & Breakfast Service – Disinfectant Foggers
2. Employee Training of Protocols – Employee Health Screening & Staying Home if Symptoms Present – Transmission Barriers – Touch-less Options – Virtual Check In
3. See Minnesota Department of Heath’s Guidance for Lodging Establishments